 Database / Set Inventories / 869
Re: Peeron Guidelines
Newsgroups:
lugnet.db.inv
Date:
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 13:32:01 GMT

On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 03:40:05AM +0000, Samuel Christiansen wrote:
I am wondering if it would be possible to mark up inventories with some
verification data.  For instance, with some inventories (particularly those
Jenn and Dan do themselves), it is known that the inventory was done using a
MISB set.  There are also inventories that have been done multiple times by
different people.  Are there any consistent guidelines on how the
inventories are marked and, if not, could we come up with some posted "rules"?

I have gotten a lot of use out of the inventories, particularly in judging
completeness of second-hand sets.  I've learned through experience which
inventory authors have matched my level of anal-retentedness (which,
admittedly is pretty high) and which haven't.  It would be nice to have more
details on what the circumstances of an inventory were, and if the results
have been verified anywhere else.  It might be nice to note discrepancies
between different versions of inventories too.

Of course, I'm not the one maintaining the archive so it's easy for me to
throw this stuff out since I'm not doing the actual work.  Any comments or
suggestions are welcome.

I agree that we should make sure that we have source of inventories
whenever possible.  We do try, and encourage others, to put such things
in the comments section, but we haven't been pushing that...  eventually,
it would be nice to add a field stating the source, and if the
inventory has been verified...

Current source "levels" would be:
- known incomplete set
- from instructions
- opened set, but thought complete
- from box
- MISB

perhaps I'll try to dig through our records, and try to fill in a
"Source:" entry in the comments.

--
Dan Boger
dan@peeron.com