 Database / Brictionary / 226
Re: Thoughts on Parts Taxonomy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.db.brictionary
Date:
Sun, 12 May 2002 12:30:07 GMT

In lugnet.db.brictionary, Geoffrey Hyde writes:
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/4716

Dan, would what you're saying allow more obvious names like "worm gear" - as
I think of it, because that's what it logically interacts with and looks
like to me, at least - help me to find that name for a part often used in
gear-reduction applications?

The name "worm screw" just doesn't sound logical, I've always thought of it
as a "worm gear" as that's how LEGO named it - also, "screw" could be
mistaken to mean threaded, as in screws that are screwed into wood - this
gear definitely isn't a "screw" in that sense of the term.

that part (and it's name) come from partsref - we try to use partsref names
whenever we can, unless it's for a part that isn't available as a dat yet.
But even for X numbers (our custom parts), we will eventually rename them to
whatever the LDraw guys come up with...

So the place you should push for a change here is partsref, not peeron :)

Dan

PS. on the plus side, I did add "worm gear" to the keywords of this part, so
it should show up in searches as such.  :)