 Database / Brictionary / 225
Re: Thoughts on Parts Taxonomy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.db.brictionary
Date:
Sun, 12 May 2002 02:55:12 GMT

http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/4716

Dan, would what you're saying allow more obvious names like "worm gear" - as
I think of it, because that's what it logically interacts with and looks
like to me, at least - help me to find that name for a part often used in
gear-reduction applications?

The name "worm screw" just doesn't sound logical, I've always thought of it
as a "worm gear" as that's how LEGO named it - also, "screw" could be
mistaken to mean threaded, as in screws that are screwed into wood - this
gear definitely isn't a "screw" in that sense of the term.

--
Cheers ...

Geoffrey Hyde

(Remove spamblock to reply.)

"Dan Boger" <dan@peeron.com> wrote in message news:Gvx6oq.LLJ@lugnet.com...
I like the idea of better indexing, and would be happy to incorporate any • new
method into peeron - now someone just has to write it :)

I know that indexing by a non-unique field (which is the part number) is a • bad
thing - it's just the easiest and most convinient.  When (one day), I move
peeron to an SQL backend, that indexing will change, and we will allow • multiple
part numbers for the same part...  as well as multiple different parts • with the
same part number.

:)

Dan