 Color / 761
Re: My first MOC in "bley"....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 2004 16:09:31 GMT

In lugnet.color, John Neal wrote:
   In lugnet.color, Reinhard “Ben” Beneke wrote:
   In lugnet.color, John Neal wrote:
   In lugnet.color, Reinhard “Ben” Beneke wrote:

snip

Good day, John!

Possibly I should be really glad about the bley-thing in the end (without any joking!). Since 1997 I have spent (by far) over 4000 Eur each year for new bricks (90% of these as MISB sets). Next to this, I have partly spent the same sum for used bricks, but that got less and less since PaB and S@H had so cool sets and so nice brick assortments. I stopped buying used bricks in 2002 and increased my spendings on new sets instead.

Any idea what happend in 2004? Have I spent more than ever to get as much oldgrey in my hands as possible? Sorry no. I felt very frustrated about bley and have spent not more than 100 Eur per month in average. And only one singel set from the 2004 line: the MINI-ISD, just to find out how ugly bley really is.

Later I realized how much money I had suddenly on my bank accounts, so I made a dream becoming true and have built an own house. This will consume most of my money in future and my LEGO budget will certainly stay under the 100-bucks-per-month-limit for the next years as well.

But being a house owner (with an extra hobby room!) is quite cool and worth to keep the hobby costs low. That is, what I see as the backside of the medal. I got bley - wich is bad. But without bley I possibly might have continued to live in a small appartment with not enough room for my LEGO collection. Now I live with lot of free space around, but have no budget to fill it with LEGO bricks quite soon. Thanks for bley, TLC!?

Keep on bricking!

Ben

Made from NONE-LEGO bricks: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=87894

   FWIW, I think the decision was a unmitigated disaster, and, after having visited a TRU recently and viewed some MEGABLOCKS firsthand, I think I understand why. The new blay works well with the gray from MEGABLOCKS, but the normal gray looks yellowed from time. Now, when you only see the normal gray, it is warmer in appearance and more pleasing to the eye IMO. My theory is that TLC was finding that more and more families are buying LEGO AND clones and all of the “legos” are going into one bin, thus highlighting the differences in color between the companies, with LEGO looking the worse of it.

Here is my hope: That TLC will learn from the horrible mistake made by Coke when it “improved” itself with “New Coke”. They brilliantly turned a disaster decision into a marketing ploy by reintroducing “Coca-Cola Classic”, and then let “New Coke” sort of f-f-f-fade away into the sunset.

TLC can IMO get huge amounts of credit from its fans by (secretly) admitting that the change was ill-conceived, and decide to reintroduce “classic gray”, “classic dark gray”, and “classic brown”, in addition to the new colors (wink, wink, they f-f-f-f-fade away to blay in 1 year)

Sounds like a win-win to me. Fans are happy, TLC gets credit for being receptive to its customers.

AMEN!! (I still have the hope this dream might become reality.)