 Color / 760
Re: My first MOC in "bley"....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 2004 15:28:39 GMT

In lugnet.color, Reinhard “Ben” Beneke wrote:
   In lugnet.color, John Neal wrote:
   In lugnet.color, Reinhard “Ben” Beneke wrote:
   Hi all,

I just wanted to present my first and so far only MOC in the “cool” colour bley:

<snip>

Oh, bad, wicked, naughty, evil Ben! :-)

Hi John,

and now imagine that the hooks are actually done in SNOT technique! And think somewhat further: the trashcan will surely be filled with all kind of kitchen SCHLEIM sooner or later.... Thanks LEGO for being every day a new toy! Thanks for the new bley - I never would have done this hook in original grey.

Blay on!

I know how serious you are when it comes to your acrimony over the color changes, and so I shouldn’t have made light of it in the first place (but how could I resist? You are such a character:-)

FWIW, I think the decision was a unmitigated disaster, and, after having visited a TRU recently and viewed some MEGABLOCKS firsthand, I think I understand why. The new blay works well with the gray from MEGABLOCKS, but the normal gray looks yellowed from time. Now, when you only see the normal gray, it is warmer in appearance and more pleasing to the eye IMO. My theory is that TLC was finding that more and more families are buying LEGO AND clones and all of the “legos” are going into one bin, thus highlighting the differences in color between the companies, with LEGO looking the worse of it.

Here is my hope: That TLC will learn from the horrible mistake made by Coke when it “improved” itself with “New Coke”. They brilliantly turned a disaster decision into a marketing ploy by reintroducing “Coca-Cola Classic”, and then let “New Coke” sort of f-f-f-fade away into the sunset.

TLC can IMO get huge amounts of credit from its fans by (secretly) admitting that the change was ill-conceived, and decide to reintroduce “classic gray”, “classic dark gray”, and “classic brown”, in addition to the new colors (wink, wink, they f-f-f-f-fade away to blay in 1 year)

Sounds like a win-win to me. Fans are happy, TLC gets credit for being receptive to its customers.

JOHN