 Color / 518
  Re: LEGO Inside Tour (New theory on color change: stock dyes)

(...) Maybe someone visiting the LEGO factory can shed some light on this theory that popped up on FBTB about a month ago. (Actually, I'm surprised this theory never made its way to LUGNET. I guess this just goes to show that there are many besides (...) (20 years ago, 21-Aug-04, to lugnet.color, FTX)

  Re: LEGO Inside Tour (New theory on color change: stock dyes)

(...) Interesting remarks. Rather than answering the reason for the 'lost colors', I would think this would go quite a bit towards explaining recent inconsistant colors. The purple bus and the goofy shades of navy blue come to mind. Perhaps the (...) (20 years ago, 21-Aug-04, to lugnet.color, FTX)

  Re: LEGO Inside Tour (New theory on color change: stock dyes)

(...) There was a post about the purples- they were made in different countries (Hungary, Swiss and Danish, IIRC), and the dyes used are not from the same batch (or maker?) Anyway, the colours are different, because the dyes are different. The idea (...) (20 years ago, 21-Aug-04, to lugnet.color, FTX)

  Re: LEGO Inside Tour (New theory on color change: stock dyes)

(...) So, do you really think that LEGO wanted a color change? Strange, since they had hoped/expected it would go unnoticed and never avertised it anywhere. Doesn't make any sense to me. Paulo Renato (20 years ago, 22-Aug-04, to lugnet.color, FTX)

  Re: LEGO Inside Tour (New theory on color change: stock dyes)

(...) I'm surprised to! Why didn't it make it?... (...) As someone noted on fbtb, that would explain also the sudden explosion of clear parts... (...) Same here. (...) Of course! Does anyone actually believes in "consistent color line" or (...) (20 years ago, 22-Aug-04, to lugnet.color, FTX)

  Re: LEGO Inside Tour (New theory on color change: stock dyes)

(...) Well unfortunately, those 2 paragraphs are somewhat contradictory. If LEGO is "a big enough company that if it wants a RGB mix of whatever, it would be able to source it", then why couldn't they source consistent purple dyes, even in different (...) (20 years ago, 22-Aug-04, to lugnet.color, FTX)

  Re: LEGO Inside Tour (New theory on color change: stock dyes)

(...) I think the difference there is that James was saying that it doesn't make sense that they'd be unable to find someone who would agree to supply dye for the old grey/brown colors at all. The purple fiasco was a wholy different situation. They (...) (20 years ago, 22-Aug-04, to lugnet.color, FTX)

  Re: LEGO Inside Tour (New theory on color change: stock dyes)

(...) Certainly TLG can make old gray if it wanted to. The issue is why did it change the color. Multi-million dollar companies do not make significant changes on a whim and always consider (or should consider) the bottom line. As with most things (...) (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.color, FTX)

  Re: LEGO Inside Tour (New theory on color change: stock dyes)

(...) That... makes more sense than anything else I've heard. It would explain not only the color changes and the recent inconsistencies, but also the whole 'final run of Maersk blue pellets' thing involved with the ship. If I were a betting man, (...) (20 years ago, 23-Aug-04, to lugnet.color, FTX)

  Re: LEGO Inside Tour (New theory on color change: stock dyes)

(...) Sounds logical to me. Lego has been doing some things "that haven't made sense" for decades! Back in 1963 they switched from Cellulose Acetate to ABS plastic. Anyone who has old red or yellow CA bricks knows that the new ABS color is way (...) (20 years ago, 24-Aug-04, to lugnet.color, FTX)

  Re: LEGO Inside Tour (New theory on color change: stock dyes)

(...) Having seen the production line recently in person, and having checked this theory with several colleagues from manufacturing, this is not at all true. ABS still comes in pellet form by color. Jake --- Jake McKee Community Liaison LEGO (...) (20 years ago, 24-Aug-04, to lugnet.color, FTX)

  Re: LEGO Inside Tour (New theory on color change: stock dyes)

(...) I have to second Jake on this--I've worked in plastics production before (I've personally mixed color combinations before), and that's not how you injection mold plastic--you can't "inject" color into pellets when making molded parts that are (...) (20 years ago, 24-Aug-04, to lugnet.color, FTX)

  Re: LEGO Inside Tour (New theory on color change: stock dyes)

Jake says Lego is not using "just in time" coloring in response to the rumor, and Scott says it doesn't make sense.. however, the technology is real: "Chroma Injecta Color Systems Inc of Chicago Heights, Illinois, have developed what is claimed to (...) (20 years ago, 25-Aug-04, to lugnet.color, FTX)

  Re: LEGO Inside Tour (New theory on color change: stock dyes)

(...) The technology may be real, but I don't believe TLC uses any PET derived plastics for any brick parts, though they do use them for packaging (clear BIONICLE pods are PETE, and opaque ones are straight PET). Since the pods are really just (...) (20 years ago, 25-Aug-04, to lugnet.color, FTX)

  Re: LEGO Inside Tour (New theory on color change: stock dyes)

(...) Totally agreed. Money is the issue. (...) Doesn't sound reasonable to me. Explained below. (...) Agreed. The "linearity" esplanation - or should I say excuse - doesn't make any sense. If it was so, why did LEGO stop that "linearity" now? (...) (20 years ago, 26-Aug-04, to lugnet.color, FTX)

  Re: LEGO Inside Tour (New theory on color change: stock dyes)

It's not just for PET. I found 3 companies that provide liquid color for your resin of choice. When that press release was written (2000) the PET process must have been new. I'm going to ask Maguire (who make colors as well as molding machine (...) (20 years ago, 26-Aug-04, to lugnet.color, FTX)