 Color / 233
Re: Color Change background
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Sat, 15 May 2004 16:44:34 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Jake McKee wrote:
First off, I apologize for bringing this issue up again,  but a promise is a
promise. I said I would deliver more background info on the color change, and
here it is.

<snip...>

I hope this helps clear things up.

Jake¬

Jake,

A very sincere thank you for (1) putting up with our complaints and abuse, (2)
carrying our message back to TLC, and (3) working so hard to bring details back
to us.  I am certain that this community will never know the sacrifices you have
made on our behalf.

Like many others, I am disappointed that the color change is now etched in
stone, and I will never be completely satisfied with the final disposition of
this matter.  But I am resigned that this is the path that TLC has chosen, and
it has never been in the hands of this community to dictate otherwise.

For my part, I continue to be in hiatus in many aspects of the hobby.  My new
purchases have completely stopped, and what little new building I do over the
next year or so will most likely come entirely out of my existing collection.  I
still read LUGNET daily, and participate in my local club as much as I am able,
but even these activities have lost much of their luster.  I am hopeful that my
activity level will rebound eventually, but at least for now I am mostly sitting
on the sidelines.  Judging from the recent activity levels here on LUGNET, I can
only surmise that many, many others are in a similar situation.

I just watched the movie Almost Famous again last night, and one scene is
resonating in my mind as I write this.  The main character in the movie, a
neophyte reporter for Rolling Stone magazine chastises the guitarist for a band
he is covering about his treatment of a devoted follower.  He says: "she was
your biggest fan, and you just threw her away."

Jake, thanks for trying.  I look forward to seeing some of the new products that
you have alluded to when they appear later this year, and I hope that they help
to revive this community.  But please know that the effect of the color change
will always be with us.

- Chris.