 Color / 247
Re: Color Change background
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Mon, 17 May 2004 17:01:04 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.color, Chris Phillips wrote:

For my part, I continue to be in hiatus in many aspects of the hobby.  My new
purchases have completely stopped, and what little new building I do over the
next year or so will most likely come entirely out of my existing collection.
I still read LUGNET daily, and participate in my local club as much as I am
able, but even these activities have lost much of their luster.  I am hopeful
that my activity level will rebound eventually, but at least for now I am
mostly sitting on the sidelines.  Judging from the recent activity levels
here on LUGNET, I can  only surmise that many, many others are in a similar
situation.

Well I can say that my involvement in the hobby has been reduced almost totally
to my local club (same one as Chris').  I will probably still make PAB purchases
and get the Maersk Ship.  I was going to get several of the Knight Buses until
the color problems with that set came up, now I will probably not get any.

I honestly can't say that my reduced involvement in the hobby can be attributed
to the recent color changes/problems but I can say that it doesn't give me any
reason to reopen my wallet even though I now have a real LEGO room to work in.
Fortunately my collection is large enough that I can still do many things
without significant new purchases.

I just watched the movie Almost Famous again last night, and one scene is
resonating in my mind as I write this.  The main character in the movie, a
neophyte reporter for Rolling Stone magazine chastises the guitarist for a
band he is covering about his treatment of a devoted follower.  He says: "she
was your biggest fan, and you just threw her away."

Jake, thanks for trying.  I look forward to seeing some of the new products
that you have alluded to when they appear later this year, and I hope that
they help to revive this community.  But please know that the effect of the
color change will always be with us.

I think all I can add is that LEGO should not hide behind the "more consistant
color pallet" excuse when they can't even get the colors consistant in a new
set.  I also think the "acceptable tollerances" story with the bus is a bunch of
bunk.  On one side LEGO says they have these sky high quality standards and on
the other they make excuses for totally screwing up the colors in a new set
(Knight Bus).

I guess my hope is that PAB selection stays good because at least there I can
individually select matching bricks if I have to.

Eric