 Color / 1138
1137  |  1139
Subject:
2x4 brick colors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Wed, 25 May 2005 07:54:27 GMT

Hi all,

I was just sorting my bucket of 2x4 bricks.  I put them in 4x4 stacks by color,
then break those stacks into 20 brick units.  Anyway, I'm obsessive enough to
count them, and this is what I got:

Light gray: 418
Black: 338
Red: 176
Dark gray: 126
Tan: 97
Green: 90
White: 89
Blue: 74
Brown 16
Sand green: 10
Yellow: 4
Sand blue: 4
Transparent: 2

I show those numbers because they intrigue me.  The bricks I have in large
numbers are mainly due to bulk purchases from Bricklink or S@H to build castle
creations.  The white, red, and blue are mainly very old, so I assume they
largely come from the basic sets from my youth, when the color palette was very
limited.  What really confuses me is the very small number of 2x4 bricks I have
in "odd" colors.  If I sorted my 1x1 or 1x2 bricks, or any of my plates, in
addition to certain major colors, there would be a bunch of small numbers of
elements from "odd" colors (all the sands, trans, and darks, things like purple
and orange, etc)--you know, one of this, 5 of that, etc.  Now, I've got a
relatively large number of sets, from across a variety of themes, so you would
expect that I'd have a ton of bricks in random colors, but it seems not.
Looking at <http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/3001 Peeron>, it seems that the 2x4
brick has actually not been offered in a lot of colors.  This seems odd--the 2x4
brick is perhaps the most readily recognized LEGO element to the non-AFOL
population, so you'd expect it to be ubiquitous, but it seems to not be so.
Anyone have any theories?

Bruce