Re: Chapter two of my Unnamed chronicles up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org.cw, lugnet.castle
Date:
Sat, 15 Dec 2001 07:00:35 GMT

In lugnet.castle.org.cw, Pawel Nazarewicz writes:
In lugnet.castle.org, Adrian Drake writes:
Here's the second installment of the adventures of Xander and Serena, plus
the first pictures of my latest MOC (which will be published some time this
weekend.)

Find Into the Woods at:

http://www.brickfrenzy.com/castle_cw_02a.html

I usually don't laugh out loud at many things on the internet, but towards
the middle of this comic I caught myself (at first I didn't realize I was
doing it) laughing out loud while reading.  It was like sipping a cool soda -
very refreshing.

My wife did the same thing while she was reading it.  I wanted to at least
elicit a few chuckles.  It's nice to get that kind of reaction.

I really like the chemistry of Xander and Serena.  The whole
plot is very "Big Trouble in Little China"-ish (1).  The characters kind of
make fun of themselves, but you don't take it over the line, so the
story doesn't get cheesy.

That's my favorite story style, where the characters don't quite take
themselves completely seriously.  I actually based their interplay on equal
parts my wife and I, and the Hercules and Xena style (but I think I've
mentioned that before.)

The MOC itself (I won't post spoilers) is awesome!  I love the amount of
details asa well as the color scheme that went into it.  I would have loved
to see a larger picture of it as the protagonists came upon it - for
effect - ala Wilson Raska (2).  It would have been very called for.

Indeed it would've.  But I'm just learning the art of transparent layer
backgrounds, so I didn't want to do an enormous picture. That one was enough
of a pain in the butt.  You should get to see plenty of pictures of it
tomorrow or Sunday.

The writing is crisp, the lines are sharp, and the story is moving along
quickly.  The 27 or so panels that made up the comic was a perfect
amount for s short comic.  I was sated at the end, but don't get me
wrong - I would have GLADLY kept on reading.

One small suggestion that I have - the white text sits very nicely,
but when using black with the white undertone, make it a little more
opaque so it doesn't stand out as much (if you are using Photoshop).

I'm actually using Paint Shop Pro.  I guess I was getting a little
inconsistent with the airbrush towards the end.  I think I was getting tired
of doing images (46 of them between the two comics in the last 4 days) and
got lazy :)

So again - I've already read it multiple times - fun read :)

Thanks!

Adrian