 Castle / Castle Organizations / 124
Re: I Want To Blow My Head Off
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org
Date:
Sat, 14 Jul 2001 23:03:45 GMT

Bryan,
I don’t post often about conflicts in which I am not involved, but your
last post concerns me, and I hope you’ll listen to what I have to say.
After reading the posts involved, I can understand that must feel frustrated
and betrayed.

As much as these things must trouble you, I feel that I would be remiss to
leave a few things unmentioned.  Primarily, you need to understand that your
original post was offensive in that it was inflammatory, degrading, and flat
out rude.

I’ve only seen this type of elitist, crass reviewing by snobby New York
theater critics.  No one likes them or their reviews.  They understand this,
and do it anyway, expecting people to be upset and shocked.  If you want to
review this way expect the same.
No one is upset that your opinion of the story was expressed, or that you
didn’t like the story.  We are upset because you went to antisocial lengths
to express your opinion.  I didn’t like the story, most of us didn’t, but
some of us found something positive to say about what we did like.  Some
people expressed what they didn’t like.  No one was displeased with them.

Even if you were great friends with the author of the story, you have no
right to talk to him or anyone else like that.  I don’t believe you wouldn’t
have said those things to his face, in that tone, with those specific words
either.  You can say anything you want, anytime you want, but if you are
inconsiderate or rude, you will hurt other people.  Hurting others is not
tolerated by this community, which is why we are in this situation now.
The root of this problem is of your own making, and you are dealing with
the consequences of your actions.

I understand that you feel betrayed, you might have been.  This is
something you are going to have to work through with Anthony.  However, keep
it in another newsgroup, preferably do it privately by E-mail, but work it
out.  You can see where holding grudges for petty reasons (popularity) has
led you, imagine how bad it could get over something that is really important.

You are a valued member of this community, I think we all want you to stay.
By trade I am a counselor, so I know that the best way to mand a broken
situation is to approach with an olive branch.  Taking responsibility for
the things we have done is the best olive branch available.  It opens the
door for returned overtures, and takes care of our personal responsibilities.

Jon Furman
Lugnet Member 1123

“Use the brick separator, your teeth will thank you later.”