 Castle / Ninja / 258
Re: Himeji Castle Full Central Complex MOC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.ninja, lugnet.build.ancient
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2001 14:51:13 GMT

In lugnet.castle.ninja, Jason Spears writes:
In lugnet.build.ancient, Kung-Khoon Quah writes:
It's been a long time coming but the Himeji full central complex is done !
Himeji-jo is the most beautiful castle in Japan and I hope I have done
it some justice.

The pics are at http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=7332

Jason,
   Thanks for your nice comments and questions !

The "ishio-toshi" are really neat.  I didn't
even see them at first.  I like how you used the 1x2x5 pieces on the first
level.  Typically I try to avoid using those pieces when I can, because I worry
about the stregth, has that been an issue?  The dojo on the first floor is
great too. I like how you simulated the kneeling samuri.

You are correct in saying those white/black 1x2x5 can be weak and is the
weakest on the bottom floor as I use 2 of them with a 1xN sandwich to
"hold" them together.  However, on the top I have a baseplate that
secures them to the top and it holds quite well.  Also since the second
floor is built similarly with only 1 layer of 1x2x5s and offset slightly
from the first floor "walls" and again held securely by the plates on
the top - it comes out stronger than expected.  In fact, the whole
dai-tenshu-kaku halves are strong enough I can hold them up by the
baseplate with one hand.

In this picture:
It seems that one level of the roof is slightly higher than the other.  It
seems that you didn't use technic pegs or anything else to hold the sections
together, so I assume this is due to one half leaning?  Or just a misalinment
of the sections when you took the picture?

I commend you on your powers of observation.  The roof is in fact level.
However, for this pic, I had placed the entire Himeji complex on a 15 brick
high raised platform (tunnel system) and some parts of the baseplates did
not align and it looked a little off.  Also, I do have one mistake on my
sui-go-no-mon.  One side has a black plate (first window level) and the
other has a white plate which seem to add to the pronounced kink in the
pic.
In a way, a builders work is never done.  At this point even when I
consider this a done project, in fact I still have 3 more minor rebuilds
and the plate mistake is one of them.
Also, my eyes are getting bigger.  This started as just ... let's build the
dai-tenshu-kaku.  Then .. hey if I modify the entrances, I can make all
the sho-tenshu-kaku and yaguras.  Now ... I am thinking if I put Himeji
up on a raised section, I can build the first outworks (kuruwa) as a
surrounding wall and maybe a moat.  The real Himeji was 45 m above sea
level on Mount Hime and has 3 very, very large outworks.  Hope my eyes
don't get any bigger or this will have to be moved to my lawn area. lol!
Anyway ... keep building !!
KK