 Castle / Ninja / 259
Re: Where can floorplans be found?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.ninja
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2001 15:22:34 GMT

In lugnet.castle.ninja, Carl Billen writes:
Hi everyone,

I have been looking around on the web to find some nice, decent floorplans
of Japanese buildings, but all I can find are big castles and temples...
Now I was looking for something like the oriental version of an inn, a house
for a samurai, a farmer's house and so on...

"Where's the toilet?" because I want to build a realistic little oriental samurai
house, but don't tell me the samurai has to go sit behind a tree in order to
go to the toilet...

Carl,
   I will take a shot at answering even though I know my answers will not
be complete.  First you are right in that most of the floorplans I have
been able to get online are castles and temples and even then most of the
concentration is on exterior pictures.
   However, I did gain a lot of knowledge from viewing Japanese movies.
Recommended ones are the Kurosawa movies like Ran which has great castle
interiors, "The 7 Samurai" and "Yojimbo" has fairly detailed shots of
interiors of farmhouses, hostels, stables, etc.
   And I am in my third reading (after many years pause) of James Clavell's
Shogun and Gai-Jin books.  In the book Gai-Jin, there is a lengthy description
of the daimyo using the toilet in the morning ... and in fact it is located
outside of the dwellings.  Rice growing in Japan was and is important and
even human waste was used as fertilizer after "processing"  So toilets were
very much just buckets in outside designated areas.  Also, the culture
forced men and women to ignore any "issues" with bodily functions while
using the facilities - in other words, men and women used the same bucket
in the same designated place.
Hope this helps some.  If I run across any other resources I will post
them.
KK