 Castle / Ninja / 260
259  |  261
Subject:
Map of Japan, Sekibune (ship) and Kuruwa
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.ninja
Date:
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 15:34:15 GMT

Decided to post my display that will be at the Sarasota Model Railroad Club
show (SMRC) this weekend Oct 27 & 28 at the Manatee Civic Center in FL.
My theme will be "Asian Monuments in China and Japan".
The link is http://web.tampabay.rr.com/kkqwebpage

I have created a floor map of Japan from Lego using mostly mega-bricks which
has the 3 main islands, Honshu, Kyushu and Shikoku but does not have the
northernmost island Hokaido.  Also, on the map are super microfigs which
include the red Osaka castle, the Himeji castle (which is named mini-Him)
and the black Edo castle in approximately the locations on the real map of
Japan.  Also, included the Mount Fuji supermicrofig.

The Carribean Clipper is supposed to represent the Portuguese landings in
Japan mostly in the southern islands and the other ship is a medium sized
assault ship called a sekibune.  This type of ship was used in close quarter
fighting and boarding of opposing ships and featured bamboo side panels as a
form of ship armor.  They are often described as a yagura (turret) that floats.

Finally, I created a small 5 sections of kuruwa (outwork walls).  This
articulated walls were commonly used to surround the donjons like Himeji and
has loopholes in the 3 shapes, rectangles, circles and triangles.  They
formed a complex maze which confused attackers and help in castle defense.

I am experimenting with a floor display at the SMRC show which has the
advantages of giving more freedom of usage of space (instead of being tied
to a certain width) and no hassle of lugging cabinetry to set up.  Plus its
fun to try out something new !  The Great Wall of China will be there and
will have a more elaborate diorama than the one I had before.
Hope you enjoy this !
KK

PS.  Himeji sits on a spinning pedestal (manual not motorised) so I can now
show off all the angles to the castle instead of just one side.