 Castle / 7407
Re: My new (actually really old) MOC: Gate to Sidon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 00:29:09 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Joel Jacobsen writes:
In lugnet.castle, Wilson Raska writes:
Well, after finally deciding to take pictures of this after watching it sit
around for about 7 months, I managed to tie it into my story line and make a
pretty cool teaser.  So here it is, The Gate to Sidon:

http://www.sofast.net/~raska/sidongate.html

Wilson

Outstanding! That is a wonderful use of that baseplate! I love the greenery
around the gate. I don't think I can ever have enough (and I certainly
haven't hit "enough" yet!), seeing someone with an abundance make use of it
is always interesting and inspiring to me.

I really like using greenery too, It makes scenes seem alive and refreshing.
Or something like that, I just think it adds to the coolness of a structure.

A great MOC, great editing, AND a great background. I haven't quite absorbed
everything I learned from those pictures in the 15 minutes since I first
started looking at them before replying. Looking at the pictures seems to
reveal something new each time. Awesome!

Thanks.

And I second Pawel's request - how did you fade the ghosts out like that? I
know (think?) it has to do with the opacity of a specific layer or pasted
object, but I've never tried anything like that. It's a very effective
technique. Well done!

Okay, I've done another image (took about five minutes, it's not really that
hard, you just have to know how to use the tools.)  First off, set up a
tripod and a picture of the thing you want to be transparent.  For my
example, I used Vincent.

Next, remove the "object you want to be transparent" out of the scene.  DO
NOT MOVE THE TRIPOD OR THE SCENERY!  This is the crucial part, if the tripod
or setting gets moved, (in this case, that baseplates) the picture will not
work right.

After you have removed the object, simply snap another picture of the blank
scene without making any adjustments to the camera.  You want to have the
exact same shot as the previous one, but without the object.

This photo (without object) will eventually be the one you will use.  The
next step involves the Rubber Stamp Tool.

The rubber stamp tool is exactly what it sounds like.  It picks up a copy of
an image, like it (the image) were an ink pad.  To pick it up, you must hold
Alt when you click the image.

First of all, you want to find a point that stands out on both images.  Say,
for example, the lowermost red pixel on the lion shield at the top of the
image.  Zoom in on that pixel and Alt+Click it.  This will "suck up" the
image and allow you to "stamp" it on any image you choose.  For the sake of
this procedure, you will choose this image (the one without the object):

Now you must find that exact pixel that you clicked in the previous picture;
it's okay if it's about one pixel off, but no more than that!  Then set your
Rubber Stamp brush-size to the one-pixel size.  Then click that pixel.  You
can then zoom out to normal size and start airbrushing on the previous
picture.  To make the image transparent, change the Rubber Stamp opacity (In
the Rubber Stamp Options box) to whatever you desire and start airbrushing.
If you're not happy with how it turned out, simply undo and choose a
different opacity.

For this picture:

http://www.sofast.net/~raska/Sidon/bmeeting.jpg

I used a 15% opacity, and for this picture:

I used a 50% opacity.

Keep in mind that it's very important to click on the same pixel in both
pictures.  It's also probably a good idea to do the airbrushing on a
separate layer.  This will let you move it around once it's been airbrushed,
and you won't ruin any of the original image data.

And there you have it, your very own phantom minifig!  Now you can all go
out and try it yourselves.  Have fun!  :^)

Wilson