 Castle / 7121
Re: Castle set rating curiosity
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 20 Dec 2000 16:57:26 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Bianca Nebab writes:
No, it looks like someone (or a different someone in each case, possibly)
cast a "0" rating for some--not all--of theCastle sets.  I'm certainly not
complaining, since everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  But it is a
curiosity without a context for the rating, since there don't seem to be any
negative comments in the comments sections.  In my own opinion, those are
some of the best sets in LEGO period, much less just in the Castle theme.
Some I would even rate as high or higher than Big Yellow (only 6085 is a bit
too baroque for my tastes).

Those ratings have kind of puzzled me as well... My gut reaction says that
someone who really dislikes the castle theme went around rating them all 0's
in the hopes of making all castle-themed sets look more disliked or
something... But I certainly don't have any way of backing that up or
anything. Just a hunch, as Kirk would say.

Personally, I try and rate sets for other people's benefit. If someone else
sees set number XXXX for sale and they want to know what other people think
of it before buying it or something, they might check out the Lugnet
database to see. Now, I really don't like the Native American sets. BUT, I
would try to rate them (if I owned more than two) according to how I WOULD
feel about them as sets if I didn't dislike the theme.

But-- it does bring up an issue, I suppose.... Supposing that everyone rated
sets that way, it would probably appear that less-liked themes like Native
Americans, Hydronauts, Insectoids, UFO, etc, are better than we think they
are. So if Lego were to do any market research and use us as data (not that
there's much of it by any means) they'd see these themes as good. Well, ok,
that's a big stretch, but in general, it will make those themes appear to be
'better than they are'. I guess it all depends on how you view the purpose
of the rating system...

Anyway, I'll probably continue to rate sets as I have been... I guess I
simply would feel that I was being spiteful if I went through and gave
themes that I disliked all 0's. Just my opinion, I spose...

DaveE