 Castle / 6237
Re: To open, or not to open. That is the question.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sat, 30 Sep 2000 05:50:45 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Bradley Dale writes:

  don't want them to fade in light, etc...

  Anyone else go through this?  What did you decide?

Thanks,

Chris

LEGO doesn't really fade in the light, but it does yellow.  I had a Pizza To • Go
that I left near a sunny window for a couple years- now I have tan bricks,
almost indistinguisable from authentic tan bricks,  with white pizzeria
lettering!  (The stickers will block fading)  Light pink also yellows a bit,
but not as much as white.  Now I protect my Lego by covering up my windows • with
sheets and not putting the sets near the windows anyway.  It seems to be
working, although it is to soon to be sure.  As long as you leave a yellowed
set together, it won't be completley unbearable.  Yellowed bricks mixed with
fresh ones is what is awful.

Blue bricks will also yellow. I have also seen very discolored red bricks.

As far as opening sets up. I buy to play. I just opened a 1977 set the other
day (664 TV crew, bought for the black cowboy hat, and other parts).
Interestingly, the blue 2x4 bricks in this set are yellowed. The rest of the
bricks are fine. I do have some sets purchased for trade (or as I've decided to
do with the extra Pirate minifigs sets Shiri found last year - save for prizes)
that will be left unopened. So far I have been keeping my boxes (except for
some sets which I've bought to sell parts from, and I'll be getting rid of some
boxes for sets which I've traded major parts away, or bought without major
parts [a couple 4565s from Lindsay Braun]).

Frank