 Castle / 6079
Re: The Mystery of the Printed Stones
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 13:37:12 GMT

David Eaton wrote:

In lugnet.castle, Heather Patey writes:
I was looking through an old Brick Kicks magazine from 1993 and this tower
caught my eye, so I thought I'd reproduce it, or something based on it.

Upon closer examination, I discovered that the printing on the castle walls
was reversed left-to-right.  I thought the photo had simply been reversed
before printing in the magazine, until I looked at the printed corners: on
them, the stones are actually upside-down!  The pieces aren't upside-down,
since you can see the notches in the bottom on the upper ones.  (You can see
the real piece on the bottom half of
http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/6000/6074/6074-10.html).

How very odd... another odd point- there are two standard caslte wall sections
w/ window and brick-pattern on them as well. One of them (seen at top of
tower) is just reversed right-to-left. The second (seen at lower right of
tower) is not only reversed right-to-left, but is actually MISSING a section
of stones! The two stones usually found to the upper right hand side of the
window, which SHOULD be on the upper left given the reversal, just aren't
there! The other section of stones that's lower is there, and just reversed
sideways, however.

So are these special corners only available to the master builders?  Were they
indeed released in a set?  Or was the picture doctored before publishing? (And
if the last, why on earth would they do that?)  Anyway, found it intriguing
and thought I'd share.

My guess is that perhaps these were rejects from the assembly line, or someone
was actually putting stickers on... (very well, I might add)

DaveE
Or they could have been protoypes of the pieces.