 Castle / 248
Re: Any info on new castles sets?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 17 Oct 1999 22:30:12 GMT

In lugnet.castle, "Mike Timm" <mtimm@usinternet.com> writes:
[...]
Well that IS kinda part of it, but most of it relates to the following:

http://www.lugnet.com/castle/?n=2

Its the post about the terms and conditions of USING Lugnet, acceptance of
which is required for USE of Lugnet.

Specificly #6, under Discussion Group Terms and Conditions part,

6.  Post or transmit any information, software, or other material
          which violates or infringes upon the rights of others, including
          material which is an invasion of privacy or publicity rights or
          which is protected by copyright, trademark, or other proprietary
          right, or derivative works with respect thereto, without first
          obtaining permission from the owner or right holder.

Which pretty much covers the use of my employeers computer system and its
contents.   Which is where I saw the set names, so essentially the way I see it
if I publicly disclose this currently private and unreleased information, I
would be in VIOLATION of the Lugnet terms and would forfit my right to post
here.  That's NOT going to happen, NO WAY.  Besides it would also be an ethics
violation with my employeer and possible grounds for dismissial, THAT's not
going to happen either!  I did give a couple of broad hints/pointers of which
way the castle system is apparently going, but have no idea on just how soon it
will change, could be the year 2000, could be middle late 2000 or it could even
be 2001.  I do not know how far in advance my employeer gets the info to set it
up in the computers.  For all I know they get info starting 2 years out or it
might be 6-8 months, I cannot tell you, I'm not involved with that part of the
business.
Anyways, the post that started my involvment is here :^)

http://www.lugnet.com/castle/?n=3

Yup, that's right -- it would indeed be a violation of the Terms of Use for
LUGNET if you disclosed information here which was secret to TLG.  Granted,
it would probably be pretty tough for a TLG-outsider to prove that you
actually had disclosed a secret, but if do you know something secret, then
you probably do know that what you know is supposed to be a secret -- so use
proper discretion.

Engaging in idle speculation or propagating vague rumors or supposed leaks
heard elsewhere (citing the source as apporpriate) is one thing, and that's
not specifically against the Terms of Use here, but disclosing actual known
secret info is definintely "right out."  Please don't do that.  It makes us
look bad as a group, and I imagine that it makes TLG very nervous, if not
more paranoid.

However, anything that's already been released in some catalog in stores is
fair game, IMHO...  (For example, the new TECHNIC Star Wars droid sets
#8000, #8001, and #8002 for the year 2000 which were just discovered in the
UK a couple days ago.)

I suppose if you had some burning itch to disclose some secret, you could
always disclose it in RTL somehow, then wait for someone else to report on
it here as a heard-rumor, citing the RTL article as a source.  But again,
that just makes us online fanatics look bad as a group (to TLG), and I
wouldn't really recommend doing anything that makes us look bad as a group.

--Todd

[followups to lugnet.admin.general]