 Castle / 20827
Re: Minas Tirith scenes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 26 Apr 2005 23:57:13 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Jason Spears wrote:

   Very nice work. The city gates are quite large and look like they could withstand some punishment. One nit, I don’t think the arch & slope combination works, I think it would look better if you just went with slopes for the whole thing. The two tudor dormers at angles look great.

Thanks for the comments. I see what you mean on the arch/slope thing (at first I thought you meant along the tops of the walls, which I was pretty happy with, but I assume you mean the shape of the gateway). That comes out of a) inverse slope shortage, and b) laziness. I originally was going to just have the arches, but that led to the archway being too low. So I went to raise it up with the inverse slope. I suppose I should have torn that part apart and rebuilt.

   I like the variety of buildings in the street scenes. Making the street as patchwork as the buildings was a nice touch. The fountain looks good. Your citizens are placed nicely, it’s a bustle of activity.

Thanks. I know one comment is that perhaps the houses should all match, and I go back and forth on that. I think in a real living city there would be more variation than, for instance, PJ had in the movie version. Plus this was basically fun with trying different house styles.

   I really like that the walls tower over the houses. (Even if the walls appear to be built of lesser quality materials. :P )

Nope, that’s all LEGO, no Megablocks were used. If your comment is on the color, I think that’s a trick of the light bouncing off the walls.

   I like the white tree. Forgive me, my tolkien lore is rusty.

Thanks. I was happy with how that turned out.

Bruce