 Castle / 206
Re: Brown Forestmen
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 1999 19:40:28 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Richard Manzo writes:
I got the forestmen in a lego set that was open already which I found in a
Toys r Us. When I opened the lego set I realized that it was previously opened
and it contained 16 forestmen and various forestmen parts. (a dream come true)
amoung them was this brown forestmen. I found this about 1 week ago.
Rich

Umm... what lego set was it? Was it a castle themed set (I'm guessing yes)?
Was it "supposed" to be a Dark Forest set? Were there other
extra/replaced/used/etc pieces in it? Were any pieces in polybags?

My guess is, that since there were so many old-style forestmen, the set was
returned a former lego-fan. I mean, who else is going to have so many old
style forestmen? At this, I'd guess that since s/he had at least a somewhat
sizeable collection, particularly castle. Also, since I doubt Toys R Us would
accept a return of a set from so long ago, the box was probably the box of a
more recent set.  Hence, whoever returned it probably is still collecting Lego.

So I think that in all likelihood, this someone had access to other figs, and
made their own custom brown forestman, thinking how cool it would look. They
probably used brown arms and a red forestman torso (probably the darkest one
they could find, so that the minifig would look cooler). They then probably
accidentally put the figs in the box they were returning and proceeded to
return it. Of course TRU would have no idea there was anything extra, they'd
just re-shelve it.... Then along comes you, the lucky buyer; and now proud
owner of the "brown forestman fig"

As for it being a printing/manufacturing mistake by TLG, I'd be rather
doubtful. Mostly because none of the other forestmen sets that were coming out
at the time had any brown arms in them. Hence, it would be tough for the
mistake to be made of putting brown arms on a fig. As for the brown collar,
that's entirely more probable as to being a "mistake" on TLG's part. Perhaps
when starting up the machines one day, the red dye was darker than usual or
something, and it came out looking brown... Certainly this sounds very
plausible after hearing the debate about the color of the collar ranging from
red to maroon to auburn or whatever. Plus, when you consider (I think Todd
mentioned this at a NELUG meeting?) that the ink in set into the plastic
rather than just being painted on (makes it more high quality!), AND since the
body color underlying the torso is green, the mixture of the two colors has a
potential to mix into brown.

Anyway, I've wasted much more time than I should have theorizing, so I think
I'll stop...

DaveE