 Castle / 20449
Re: Poe story for Halloween: Cask of Amontillado
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 2004 20:34:26 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Brendan Powell Smith wrote:
   Hi, Bruce.

Nice story. Kind of twsited.

I’m glad you like it. :) ‘Tis the season to be twisted.

   I very much like the design across the top of the building in the first photo, alternating black 1x1 plates turned diagonally with technic holes.

Thanks. It was a little too boring when there was just a flat gray wall. I think I’ve seen others do similar things with technic bricks to make patterns.

   And the sword tucked under the arm works well--I haven’t seen that before.

I believe I first got that idea from Jon Furman. Hmmmm . . . aha! See the blue guys near the large inn: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=315540

   The four-way arch is nice too. I might have had the two men’s hands actually clasped for the “I thought I should never have done wringing his hand” line.

Good point.

   I love the mime-like circus guys at the carnival. That one guy getting flipped really looks to be in motion. My only small criticism here is that it’s hard to pick out who’s talking to whom in this photo.

I was actually trying to start with a long view, where the two were just a part of the action of the large scene, and slowly focus in on them over the subsequent two frames.

   The shot of Montresor just starting to head down the stairs into the catacombs works very well, and I like the look of the 1x1 plates pressed into the overhead arch. And the curved wall around the spiral staircase is very impressive.

Thanks. Here’s one where I should have taken photos from different angles, because from behind this looks like utter garbage. I needed a sharper curve than you can get with the alternating 1x3 bricks and 1x1 round bricks, so I had to leave those gaps, so there are just tall stacks of dark gray bricks setting behind the gaps to cover up the holes.

   Very nice catacombs and lighting. A small criticism is that you’ve got three or four very similar shots in a row here--they’re not identical, but you might consider capturing things from a different angle. It would be nice to see a long, down-the corridor shot, with the catacombs on either side.

You’re right. I always take a ton of pics for each scene and come from every angle, but I guess when I picked the best shot for each scene they tended to be from the same angle. Hmm, maybe I’ll look to see if there are any alternates I could substitute in.

   For the line “the foulness of the air caused our flambeaux rather to glow than flame”, I thought you might switch over to a 1x1 trans-orange round plate instead of a flame on the torches. :)

I tore the catacomb apart last night! Why didn’t you tell me this before I did that? :) Good idea.

I very much like the uneveness in the quick rock-and-mortar job. But I was surprised you didn’t have an action shot of Montresor binding Fortunato, just the afterwards shot of him bound and locked.

I tried but it was too crowded to see anything. You basically just got the archway with Montresor’s back.

   Very enjoyable work, Bruce! Happy Halloween!

Thanks.

I’m a little disappointed that no one has commented on this scene:

You can just barely see Fortunato’s smiling face in the shadows behind the wall. I tried to turn up the brightness to emphasize this, but that washes out the grays, so you really have to look close to see him.

Bruce