 Castle / 19622
Re: Blue Castle, a 25 year-old MOC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 2004 05:39:41 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Jeff Szklennik wrote:

   I saw this on brickshelf last nite & was totally wowed! this took me back to the days of looking at the old idea books (specifically Mary? & Bill? idea book #6000). there was a recent thread about the old lego “feeling”:

http://news.lugnet.com/space/?n=32329

which someone replied was just nostalgia, which i thought was a good summary, BUT upon seeing this castle, i know it can’t be just nostalgia, but some feeling related to a well designed & built Lego creation. this castle ROCKS! totally intriguing in form & fun. Way to go!!!

spotlighted

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

Thank you so much. I am, of course, proud of this castle; I’ve showed it to many people over the years, but it’s strange to finally share it with my peers (not necessarily chronological peers as ‘peers of interest’) and not be so clear about the details. I just recently found an ‘inventory’ of my sets from that era, which has helped me with the context. I do recall the spirit of seeing what I could do with the bricks I had, which I suppose I still have (the spirit, as well as the bricks.) I do tend to waver between proud builder and detached observer.

This castle does have a nostalgic element for me of course, but it’s also interesting to reflect on what I have (and don’t have) in common with my former self. There is definitely an air of fantasy about this castle(1), but also some realism; there are stairs and ladders throughout such that a minfig could ascend to the top without too much trouble. You can see the start of the stairs here when the portcullis is up.

I am quite proud of the portcullis, which is simply made of a stack of 1x4 bricks inside a ‘chase’ such that it can be raised and wedged in place and then dropped with a simple push from the top (through the window opening.) Here’s the top when open and when closed. It serves as a reminder to me that playability doesn’t have to be complicated.

Well, that was quite the little ramble, but I’ll leave it for those who may be interested.

Peace and something deeper than nostalgia,

Professor Whateverly

And, Castle peace too I suppose.

(1) Defying gravity so brazenly. Perhaps It’s really a spaceship? ;-)