 Castle / 19668
Re: Blue Castle, a 25 year-old MOC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 20 Apr 2004 03:11:55 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Bruce Hietbrink wrote:
   Hey Prof,

Welcome to .castle. This is a great creation and so much better when you consider this was done by a kfol with a limited palette before the advent of the internet. I really like the way it is all accessible, especially that staircase. Also the window where you rotate the 1x1 bricks by 45 degrees to get an interesting shape. I’m also amazed that this survived intact over the years.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce.

This castle keeps reminding me that we can do so much, no matter what our limitations. I’m really proud of that window detail. I’m sure it was partly inspired by the back cover of Hot Rocks by the Rolling Stones. I too, am amazed at its survival. It has suffered a couple of mishaps. Once it fell and broke at about two thirds of the way up. You may notice, on the right as you face the front, the bricks have some gaps where I couldn’t bring enough pressure to bear on it to seat them again. Much of the structure is 2x bricks, so that helps hold it together (and minimizes the interior space.) I had thought of rebuilding the top, but now I see the gaps as being like hard-won wrinkles, so they stay as is.

By the way, there has been no appreciable decline in clutch strength over this time. (Now there’s a concern for us old-timers. How’s your clutch strength?) Incidentally, the rest of my childhood collection has been through several (4 or 5) years in an unheated building, so it has survived temperature extremes from -40 to +40 degrees celsius, also with no appreciable decline in clutch strength (for both built and loose bricks.) So there’s some heartening news.

Peace and data,

Professor Whateverly