 Castle / 19493
Re: Handgunners
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 2004 01:45:12 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Richie Dulin wrote:

   Your pikes are scarcely more than toothpicks! You can’t triple rank pikes that short! ;-)

Oh no! Two men comparing length... ;-)

Inasmuch as these are for wargaming, lowered pikes just get in the way and upright longer pikes just make storage harder. Though truth to tell, it was more a function of having 32 light-sabres available. My own studies on length were as follows:

Use the light-sabre handle or the technic joiner - they work out to virtually the same in length. Use a spear, either connector, and:

Short Pike: Light sabre blade/wand (brown and black available). A little short - call it 14 feet minifig scale - when real pikes started at 15 feet and got longer, but servicable and plentiful.

Somewhat short pike: Toilet plunger (flagpole - same as on the handgonnes in the photos). I have these in black, but not brown, and haven’t looked in Bricklink to check prices or colors. About half a spear-tip longer, but it either puts an unsightly bulge in the middle or the bottom, depending on which connector you are using. Makes a firmer connection to the light sabre handle if you put connect with the “plunger” end, however. Since I didn’t have brown ones, I just standardized on the wands/blades.

Medium Pike: Uses the “umbrella stand” pole and is just over 3 minifigs in length. Actually, my favorite - I just only have a few of these in white. Black ones are cheap, but brown run 4 to 5 times the cost. No bulge except the small “stop” that works visually as a butt-spike of sorts. Jeff’s Little Armory Bill’s with the spikey bits trimmed off works as a great one piece pike, and is only a smidge shorter. Or trimming the bottom handguard and pistol grip off the lance is virtually the same length as the umbrella stand.

Long Pike: As you use, the lance. Puts a really ugly handguard and pistol grip on the pike, but it’s the longest of the options covered, and plentiful in black and brown (to match the spear colors). If you want to show the overlap of the pikes such as you are doing, it might be the best choice regardless of other asthetics (it’s too ugly for me, however).

The Pikes of Doom would have impaled your second rank, before you had so much as scratched the PoD’s front rank!

The Swiss used shorter pikes and kicked everyone’s butts, so a great big nyahh! :-)

(Plus they’re already proven on the Brikwars field of battle!).

Pikes in a Skirmish set of rules? They ain’t proven until they go to the mass-combat rules!

-->Bruce<--

(kidding aside, I like your pike display)