 Castle / 19479
19478  |  19480
Subject:
Handgunners
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 2004 01:37:26 GMT

Normally I just post this kind of stuff to C-C, but since the last picture has some cross-over to pirates, I thought I would post it here, too.

These are three different versions of medieval handgunners I have made. There is a tendancy to think of knights and castles not co-existing with gunpowder, or at most early cannon, but in fact early “handgonnes” (append numerous other medieval names as you wish) were on the battlefield in the latter half of the 14th century.

This is a simple “toilet plunger” (flagpole) with 1x1 round. Though the 1x1 round is too large, the overall shape is basically correct for many handgonnes around 1400.

Looking for something not so oversize, I used a light-sabre handle. The chrome is obnoxiously bright, so I spray-painted it black. Inasmuch as medieval cannon and some guns used reinforcing bands, it worked out rather well.

This is closer to what handgonnes looked like around 1450, with a shaped stock, though they would use a serpentine and not a flintlock. They were fairly short-barreled and short-stocked, so the stock could be cut down. This has a nice musketoon look appropriate for the Pirates period.