 Castle / 18597
Re: Boycot the New Castle Knight Sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 20 Nov 2003 13:37:13 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Mark Papenfuss wrote:
In lugnet.castle, William Lister wrote:
I started a bit of a flame war between castle heads and Bionical, and that was
never the intention. I may not personally like Bionical sets, but that doesn't
mean they were "useless" or ill-conceived.

Hi William,

Just a quick question - I know you know how to spell 'Bionicle" correctly, you
have done it many times in the very recent past. So whats the deal with spelling
it wrong every time now?

I know you do not like Bionicle, but I do not think it is too much to ask for
you to spell it correctly. Afterall, you do not see me typing 'kastle' or
'casle' now.

Hi Mark,

The spelling mistake was just that, a mistake. If my intent had been to further
upset the Bionicle community, I would have found a more overt method. There are
much better ways to upset people than with the occasional spelling mistake. I
usually type my responses in Word to avoid such spelling mistakes and Bionicle
is corrected to Bionical by Word. I have since edited my dictionary to allow for
the correct spelling of Bionicle.

To address you other comments about how I feel about Bionicle, I may need to
clarify a few points. As someone who builds castles and medieval cottages, I
don't like Bionicle for parts etc... as a marketing tool and a way of bringing
new enthusiasts to the hobby, I am for it. It strengthened the Lego brand and
that is a positive step regardless of whether or not I want to buy the sets
myself.

If I were build more than just buildings and decided to foray into the realm of
dragons the way Anthony Sava does, I would likely employ a few parts from these
sets.  As I stated before, my intention was not to rile the Bionicle fans, but
to express my regret that once again TLC had left castle builders/kids with
nothing "Castle" to buy at retail. And to voice a bit of a protest to that end.

It was unfortunate that some speculation in Classic-Castle and elsewhere linked
the rumored new "castle" line with Bionicle in the first place. Had it been
linked to Jack Stone or NHL styled sets, I would have been just as vocal. It was
never meant to be an attack on Bionicle and I think many may have missed my
point. A line of "Castle" anything not related to system is a threat to the
development of a true system castle line. My hope is that any line produced
outside of the scope of system will fail in order to encourage TLC to return to
their once very successful system castle line.

Between the new whatever-they have-decided-to-call-it-castle-line and the
obliteration of the classic gray colors, the castle theme is under very real
threat of extinction. All that will be left will be us old dinosaurs hording our
old grays and telling kids there used to be a great theme called castle, but
cheap marketing ploys killed it.

With all the negative events that seem to be happening in my favored hobby, I
have decided to retreat and cool my heels for a while. I have a few books I have
been meaning to read anyway.

WL

Play Well!

Mark P