 Castle / 17913
Re: 3CS Corner City Gate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 3 Sep 2003 14:28:28 GMT

In lugnet.castle, James Stacey wrote:
Alan Findlay wrote:
It's ironic, really.

Here I am, one of the people who gave input into the Medieval
Marketplace standard, and I haven't even got past a skeletal mock-up
of what I'd like to create for it. ====8<----- snip

LMKWYT.

Alan

I really like your gate Alan. It all sits together really well and its an
innovative angle for a gate. Really is very good
It conveys a good solid feel and provides an intimidating presence for any
would be invaders, while keeping it at a good small scale.
I really like the arrangement of stairs too (how do the minifigs get to 1/2
of the ramparts in the official releases anyhoo). The only thing I think
looks a little outta place is the white crenulations .. but maybe thats jsut
me.
You have inspired me to give a 3CS a go. Thank you

Well, considering the plethora of MOCs that you've created, I'm impressed that I
could provide inspiration, however small. Thanks for you comments.

The whole issue of rampart access has been a "bee in the bonnet" for me. And it
makes is somewhat of a challenge as I tend to build at a compressed scale (above
the Lego set standard, but below, for example, Andrastavia). There's not always
a lot of room to create a believable access point. But, in my mind, there must
be access or I'm not satisfied.

It all fits in with "believability" in general. My earliest inspiration came
from one of Pawel's creations (Wolfpack Fortress or Guarded Pass or something
similar). Since then there have been many many examples along the same line to
continue to push me, but Pawel's was the first.

The white crenulations are another story. My 3CS creation is taking a
pre-existing building and adding extensions. So two different "standards" are
clashing. My crenulations are made with 1x2 white MegaBloks and they exist
throughout my city wall. The reason is rather mundane: cost. MBs are dirt cheap,
and the crenulations are not "mission critical" for fit etc. I use clones for
bulky creations (like city walls) and save the good stuff for more detailed
work.

Browsing through your creations, it looks like some could be made "3CS
compliant" with only minor modifications.

Alan