 Castle / 17399
Re: King Arthur Library Display
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.build
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 2003 05:46:56 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Nathan Todd wrote:
     Great work! I even read a line or two of your description :) Actually it
was very well written. And also great to see the double wamming of exposing kids to castle and lego.

Thanks Nathan, I've been back to the library a couple of times since the initial
setup, and the librarians happily reported that not only were all the King
Arthur books checked out, but also all their books on castles and the two books
on legos.  I couldn't be more pleased.  They have invited me back for a holiday
display, so I guess it was a complete success.

All in all very impressive, especially the way the castle
links the whole thing... The only thing I would improve is the scene borders
(more defined) but that would be very hard to do and might ruin the nice flow
your display has. Perhaps altering the baseplate color (within reason)?

Scene separation was indeed challenging, and I experimented with tree-lines,
castle walls, and artificial artistic bands of color.  As you speculated, it did
sort of obstruct the narrative flow.  I also considered doing a season for each
scene, but it proved to constraining.  I took a pole of my closest lego-advisors
and they agreed that I should ditch the formal borders.  I opted for thematic
borders like the Cameliard wall, and the river.  To be honest, the baseplate
idea never occured to me, but might have worked.
Thanks for sharing and God Bless,
Thanks for taking the time to comment,
-Keith