 Castle / 13621
Re: Theme Mixing (advice wanted)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 3 Jul 2002 23:04:12 GMT

Hi Nathan,

This is a good question, but I'm not sure I know the exact answer you are
looking for. I collect all different kinds of sets (including space, pirate,
harry potter, cowboy, aquazone, insectoids, bit of town, star wars, etc...).
In fact the only ones I don't collect are MindStorms (too expensive) and
trains (same reason).

On the other hand, I exclusively build castle (except for a trinket here and
there for a break). I "collect" all different kinds of sets because there
are amazingly unique and interesting parts in each theme. In SEALUG (my
local LEGO group), we draft out a dozen or so of a single set (anything from
Star Wars to Town to Space), and I look for parts that will apply to my
Castle-style. It's easy to think that only walls, torches, and Harry Potter
minifigs are useful, but if you keep an open mind, you can create some
really interesting styles using "non-Castle" themed parts, especially
multiples. As an example, I used a lot of hinges to build working farm
animals, which would go well in a Castle town. Though typically you'll find
Space-ships and robots use more of the hinges.

As an aside, I NEVER sell or get rid of any of my LEGO. In fact I try not to
take anything apart either (until it's CADized).

My one line (though a bit long) recommendation: "collect whatever catches
your eye, build the styles you cherish, and keep an open mind for
interesting ways to use every part"

-Stephen

In lugnet.castle, Nathan Todd writes:
     I at the moment collect all themes (not in huge quantities: Castle,
Pirate, Aquazone, Cowboy, Space (minimul), and Town to list in my prefered
order. I have been wondering if I should chuck it all into Castle. The only
problem with this is the amount of stuff that doesn't fit. The collector in
me doesn't want to sell 1/2 of some sets. Also I know I'll miss some themes,
especially Pirate.
     What I need to know is has anyone been in this position? How many
relavet pieces do you get out of the other themes compared to the amount you
nulify? And is it really possible to collect more then one theme?