 Castle / 13503
13502  |  13504
Subject:
Castle Adane and others
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 05:10:40 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Nope, Lenny hasn't fallen off the planet.  In fact he's been quite busy the
past few months...

And now for all the boring words:

*all fo the buildings were built with attention to "believability" meaning,
that if I were a minifig, I could get around relatively easy and not be too
confused about where something was or not.. ie staircases, beds for
everyone, etc.  Hopefully they also look better than my old stuff.

Here is both the history of different structures as well as some building notes.

Castle Adane
History: After the final expulsion of the Lonsans, it was decided that the
symbol of their power, Castle Pahl, was to be torn down and a new, larger
one built in it’s place. Adane was designed to dwarf the old Pahl, but
maintained the same basic structure. Building began four years after the
coronation of Dokeste and was finished two yearsbefore his death in 927.  In
925, in honor of the first Qan Adain, a statue was built of his likeness.
Building: This was to be the crowning achievement of my new Coplton (c.
928),large, massive, and all realistic.  By “realistic” I mean that if I
were a minifig I would have no problem getting around the building: stairs,
doors, good sized rooms, etc.  There are three basic parts: the Gate, the
Barracks, and the Keep.
The Gate was meant to inspire awe in its massiveness.  I abandoned
‘rounded’ towers for the ease and power of large square ones.  The bottom of
the left tower is the ladder, meant to serve as command area in case of
attack, the bottom of the right is storage or an area for horses, etc.
The Barracks feature a pretty much common aspect of my new work: buildings
that split in half and have lift off roofs.  The sheer size of building
realistically means i just don’t have enough roof bricks, ever! so normal
bricks had to be used.  There are bunks for each of the ten regular castle
guards, and planning table with mini-library, a selection of books for the
commander to use, etc.
The Keep was the first built and the most massive.  It has four levels, a
storage cellar, the main hall, a special living quarters for the Qan, and a
little tower level.  The main hall features a stain glass yin-yang (a Caeric
religious symbol), the Qan’s throne, as well as seats for each of the five
melkyas, designed specifically for each tribe.  The Qan’s house has
everything a qan would need, from sleeping area and dresser, to bookshelf and
discussion table.  (Currently Qan Mavesta is meeting with the Melkyas)

Jeno of Ainot Memorial Library
History: Built to comemorate Caerany’s finest writer to date, who died
during the Revolution.  It was built as apart of Guyka Kian’s program of
increasing literacy and education in ordinary citizens.  The library is free
for all and contains many books on all subjects.
Building: A simple rectangular building built with pieces for Yoda.  Since
its a library, its not very interesting, not many windows.  I put the
windows where they wouldn’t shine too much on the books and ruin them.  I
designed the “book” sign myself.

Red Oak Inn
History: The explosion that leveled Castle Pahl’s main tower also did
serious damage to the Simkul Inn and Tavern.  When Calib rebuilt, he
expanded into two seperate buildings, the Simkul Tavern and the Red Oak Inn.
The inn is currently cared for by Calib’s son Barde.
Building: Easily the most interesting of the buildings to design, after
drawing out my idea it took alot of time just playing around to get how to
do it.  I decided on red rather than white just to be different.  There is a
hatch; that is how people get onto the 2nd level.

Kosky Farm
History: The Revolution brought much needed oppurtunity to ordinary Caers,
such as Jule Kosky.  Jule was an Abhavan peasant suffering under the weight
of Lonsan rule. His farming village was burned during the Battle of Solon’s
Crossing, and he joined Kian’s  rebels.  After fighting hard for the rest of
the war, he resettled to the west of Coplton in the fertile valley of Kwyr.
Here he has enjoyed a growing amount of success and has managed to build
quite a decent home for himself and his family.
Building: Aside from the House of Sun and Castle Adane, this is my favorite
building to date.  I’m mostly interested in the lives of the ordinary
people, and building the things that matter to them.  I’ve tried several
times to get a good peasant house that looked realisticly poor but not
overly simplistic.  I think this structure is a success.

Happy Peach Cafe
History: Like all things in Coplton, the Happy Peach can trace its lineage
to the Revolution. Founded shortly after by a young industrious couple,
Rikan and Silea determined to build a better life for themselves.  The Happy
Peach was intended to be another option for those sick of the drunkeness of
the Simkul Tavern.
Building: Okay okay, all my ‘realistic’ talk and here is something where
people magically appear upstairs.  But I really wanted to use the curved
pieces from Jango Fett’s Slave I for the awning of a cafe or something, and
at the moment I was running low on pieces... and ... and... I just forgot.
But it’s still a cute little structure.

Enjoy!

Peace and Freedom
-lenny