 Castle / 12112
Re: Arrow Slits
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 2002 21:22:39 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Magnus Lauglo writes:

My favourite way of doing arrow slits is just doing straight vertical slits
half a brick wide. This makes for a much harder window for an enemy to shoot
through. You can do pairs of them easily by using a few of the 1 by 2 plates

This is one of my favorite techniques as well.

which have a single stud in the middle on the top. I've been trying to
figure out how to make cross shaped ones which are that thin, possibly using
SNOT tecnology. There must be some way.

Magnus:

If you take a look at the window here:

you can see how it was built by using 1xn plates.  (Look especially toward the
top.)  A similar technique using plates and/or tiles could be used construct
arrow loops of a cruciform shape.  In the catheral, I didn't mind the studs
because (a) they give the window character and (b) tiles with studs only on the
ends don't exist.  A possible way to create a "smooth" arrow loop would be to
arrange plates and tiles as follows:

bottom: a 1x10 plate
next: a 1x4 plate, a 1x1 tile, a 1x4 plate, a 1x1 plate
next: a 1x2 plate, a 1x2 tile, leave a one-stud gap, a 1x2 tile, a 1x3 plate
next: a 1x2 plate, a five-stud gap, a 1x1 plate, a 1x2 plate
next: a 1x4 plate, a one-stud gap, a 1x4 plate, a 1x1 plate
top: a 1x10 plate

Now, rotate 90 degrees and instert into a 3-studs thick wall with additional
plates and tiles added to the ends of the above assembly to center it into the
space you have for it.  There are other similar ways.

I hope my description is clear.  I realize a picture is worth a thousand words,
but I don't own a digital camera and can't borrow one on short notice....

--Muze