 Castle / 12031
Re: New castle? Kinda...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sat, 2 Feb 2002 13:07:46 GMT

Very nice David! A very sturdy-looking castle you have there, with a
decidedly spartan military feel to it. I wish I had as much grey brick as that!

Nice use of the raised basplate, and I like how you incorporated the HP
spiral staircase! (Is anyone else having a hard time fitting these into
their castles?)I also like the way you have done the interior, very much in
keeping with the spartan look of the castle. I can imagine this as a castle
in some desolate corner of the world,  guarding some inhospitable mountain
pass somewhere. It looks like it is commanded by a lord with a sense of
simple military practicality.

Only 2 complaints/constructive criticism/things I'd have done differently:

The hidden door is a nice feature, but I think it would look better on a
more fantasy inspired castle If you're going for a medieval sally port, I
think a simple small door (like the kind that comes with the Guarded Inn,
but in black)would do better. Obviously, the hidden entrance makes for great
camoflague, but I don't know how realistic this is, and your castle
otherwise has a very realistic flavour to it.

The way you have made some projections from the walls of a tower looks cool,
but if you used two 2 by 2 by 1 inversed slopes instead of just one, you
could actually create real machicolations, giving the soldiers in the tower
holes through which to drop stuff on to anyone at the base of the towers.

All in all, a great castle! I don't know much much more grey brick you have,
but this castle strikes me as one that could easily be expanded with a
second curtain wall, if you want to make it bigger.

cheers

Magnus