 Castle / 12033
Re: New castle? Kinda...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Sat, 2 Feb 2002 16:26:04 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Magnus Lauglo writes:
Nice use of the raised basplate

That was actually the inspiration for the project when it started... I
wanted a castle that was built on some sort of rock-outcropping, and
multi-leveled since most of the castles I had seen on Lugnet were more or
less a fixed number of BURP layers... That part I was rather pleased with
(it also made for a nice dungeon and storage cellar.

and I like how you incorporated the HP spiral staircase! (Is anyone else
having a hard time fitting these into their castles?)

That annoyed me to no end :) I eventually fixed them in place using 1x1
round plates underneath the topmost and bottommost steps.

Only 2 complaints/constructive criticism/things I'd have done differently:

Only 2? :) Having built the majority of it in only 3 days I found plenty of
problems that perhaps were due to me making a rush job of it :)

The hidden door is a nice feature, but I think it would look better on a
more fantasy inspired castle If you're going for a medieval sally port, I
think a simple small door (like the kind that comes with the Guarded Inn,
but in black)would do better. Obviously, the hidden entrance makes for great
camoflague, but I don't know how realistic this is, and your castle
otherwise has a very realistic flavour to it.

I certainly agree from a realism side. Though in its defense, I have to say
it's still one of my favorite parts of the castle. It's just cool :)

The way you have made some projections from the walls of a tower looks cool,
but if you used two 2 by 2 by 1 inversed slopes instead of just one, you
could actually create real machicolations, giving the soldiers in the tower
holes through which to drop stuff on to anyone at the base of the towers.

Here I wanted to do so much more. I really liked the way my previous
gatehouse was structured-- it had about 10 studs of space between the
portcullis and the interior door, above which were holes for oil dumping and
the like, along with slits for archers. I had planned to go back and make
this one bigger to accomidate, but oh well :(

All in all, a great castle! I don't know much much more grey brick you have,
but this castle strikes me as one that could easily be expanded with a
second curtain wall, if you want to make it bigger.

Actually, I'm planning on dismantling it and rebuilding another one. (Fit
for playing Brikwars in!) Several months ago I recieved about 4000 grey
bricks from another project I did, so I've finally got the grey brick to
make it really big! :) But it'll have to wait till I'm done with other
projects...

Thanks for the feedback! :)

DaveE