 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 980
979  |  981
Subject:
Smooth surfaces
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Thu, 13 Sep 2001 18:15:29 GMT

Hi,
I think the following is of interest in this newsgroup:
L3P generates "meshes" of parts from Ldraw, that are not in LGEO and not
covered by other special handling.
Meshes consist of triangles and there are creases, if triangles from
different planes collide.
I remembered the notion of "creaseangle" in VRML and adopted it to
replace the triangles of L3P by "smooth_triangles" (see POVRAY-Help for
explanation, some computing of normal directions is necessary).
Resulting surfaces look more smooth though you may not expect too much.
See some examples at http://members.aol.com/elferwette/LDraw/index.htm.
Is it worth to ask Lars Hassing for integration in L3P, e.g. controlled by
commandline parameters?

lothar