 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 1545
Re: Smooth surfaces
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 18:48:50 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Kevin Clague writes:
I know this is an old discussion, but I really like Steve's idea of
meta-statements to control this.

What would be really cool is to have all the primitives and parts in the parts
library have the meta-statements that simply turn smooth triangles on and off.
This way we would not need a heuristic.

It is probably a *huge* effort, but we could run each part in the library (and
primitives) through a heuristic and then review each part to see if we want to
override the heuristics.  This is probably really nieve, due to the amount of
work, but it is the optimal solution.

Actually the meta-statements are probably unnecessary because all the
information already exists in the parts in the form of type 2 and type
5 lines.  Type 2 lines indicate a hard edge and type 5 lines (or the
absence of type 2 lines) indicate a smooth join.  An algorithm based
on this observation was recently published one of the cad newsgroups,
and is in fact already implemented in ldview.  Since the source code
to ldview is available, it should be fairly easy to make use of this
without resorting to inaccurate heuristics or extra meta-statements.

Have fun,

Don