 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 324
  New to digital LEGO

Hi folks, I've just picked up the challenge of using Ldraw, L3P, and POV-ray. At (URL) you can see my first crack results. They are crude by the standards of some of your works, but I'm pretty excited about how little time it took to run through the (...) (24 years ago, 2-May-00, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: New to digital LEGO

(...) If you're in LEdit: One thing you need to figure out is where your center of rotation is. By default, it's on <0,0,0>, but you can move it around. Personally, I keep a fake part line (e.g. 0.DAT) and move that around to help setting the center (...) (24 years ago, 2-May-00, to lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.cad)

  Re: New to digital LEGO

(...) From the thumbnails, your pics look pretty nice. However, I don't have the patience to download 3+ Mb bitmap files. Please consider saving your renderings as JPG files, and compress them to 150 Kb or less. --Bram (24 years ago, 2-May-00, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: New to digital LEGO

(...) Thanks. (...) Doh! Uh, yeah...I guess with a fast net connection, I wasn't thinking. I figured out how to get POV-Ray to output a .png which is much smaller, but I don't seem to find any docs for producing jpegs. Do I need to use some (...) (24 years ago, 7-May-00, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: New to digital LEGO

(...) Is (...) when (...) easy, (...) Thanks for the response. I am using LEdit. But, I don't get how to use the fake part line, or how editing the center of rotation will change the output to POV code. thanks, Chris (24 years ago, 7-May-00, to lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.cad)

  Re: New to digital LEGO

(...) I dunno about POV, but 'most any simple picture-editing application will allow you to "save as" from .bmp to .jpg - even the "paint" app that comes preinstalled on windows (if you have that). HTH! -Shiri (24 years ago, 7-May-00, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: New to digital LEGO

(...) In LEdit, you can use the menu sequence { / -> (T)urn -> (C)enter } to move the center of rotation over to the centerpoint of the current piece. Any piece you rotate will then turn around that centerpoint. I use the fake part line as a weak (...) (24 years ago, 8-May-00, to lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.cad)