 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 324
323  |  325
Subject:
New to digital LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Tue, 2 May 2000 02:07:47 GMT

Hi folks,

I've just picked up the challenge of using Ldraw, L3P, and POV-ray.  At
http://brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=431 you can see my first crack
results.

They are crude by the standards of some of your works, but I'm pretty excited
about how little time it took to run through the tutorials I found and start
making my own stuff.

But I'm pulling my hair out over the hilly scene, and maybe someone can help.
First, I would like to place several of the skimmers in a flock following the
hillside terrain.  When I put them in the scene far enough from the camera that
I can have a bunch of them, they're just indistinct little smudges.  Any hints,
or is that just a limitation of the media?

Also, I'm trying to rotate them around the y axis and it just doesn't work.  Is
there something weird about what Ldraw and L3P do with axes?  I'm not really
getting it.  I have to flip the skimmer 180 to put it right-side up.  Then when
I try to rotate them, to tip them down one of the far-off hilsides, I just
can't do it.  It'll rotate around the other two axes, but I'm not sure I
understand when and why.  The instructions and help for POV make it seem easy,
but it's not working the way they say it should.

TIA,

Christopher Weeks