 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 323
Re: Moving an object in a scene
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Mon, 1 May 2000 04:49:23 GMT

I got around to trying your tips Brams and they worked like a charm.  The
result can be seen here

http://www.geocities.com/vci_99.geo/lego/azreal/Azreal.jpg

Thanks again

Jason
http://www.geocities.com/vci_99.geo/lego

In lugnet.cad.ray, Bram Lambrecht writes:
"Jason Ellis" <jae@interwrx.com.nospam> writes:
In POV-Ray how does one go about changing the position of a model in
the scene.  I've figured out how to move the camera around, but can't
figure out how to move an object.  Any help would be appreciated.

Apparently, you already discovered that the
object { my_model_dot_dat ... }
line is the line that places the object.  You can add all sorts of
scaling, rotation, and translation to this line by adding "scale"
"rotate" and "translate" modifiers.  For example,
object { my_model_dot_dat ... translate <100,-24,50> }
would move the model 100 LDU in +X, 24 LDU up, and 50 LDU in +Z.
You can also translate in only one direction (eg, 100 +X) like this:
translate <100,0,0>
or like this:
translate x*100
scale and rotate work the same way (although I'm not sure in which order
the rotations are carried out, so I generally use the x*, y*, and z*
notation for rotations.
HTH,
--Bram