 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 2884
Re: How do I...? 3 questions about POV-Ray.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Mon, 12 May 2008 18:24:26 GMT

Daniel,

You can do whatever you want if you dare to edit the POV file before
rendering. POVRay isn't that difficult to fafthom, and there are lots of
things you can do that creates a better render. Like this:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=16707 for example (I think I
can still dig out the POV code for this old render if you're interested).

Something that I've never liked about my renders in POV-Ray is that
the bricks are way too reflective. Sometimes they're as reflective as
the mirrored floor I've put in it. How do I fix this?

You can experiment with the 'reflection' value for the colors. A lower value
gives lower reflection. Take a POV file and replace all 'reflection 0.08' by
reflection 0.06' for example.

A better solution would be to have color definitions where the reflection is
using a global constant, like AMB and DIF.

Also, how do I get a blue sky without it affecting(effecting?) the
lights in the scene?

I've always used the 'sky-sphere' command in POVRay. Has not created any
color problems for me. Some renders and POV code at:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=167437 and

Lastly, how do I make the tires look more like rubber than another
plastic brick?

Tim already gave you the easy answer, another solution is to set a special
color for the rubber and experiment in POVRay.

--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
BlockCAD:  http://web.telia.com/~u16122508/proglego.htm