 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 2117
Re: Annoying Reflections
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Sat, 28 Feb 2004 15:07:51 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Mike Thorn wrote:
Hello all,

It's 12:32am right this minute, so this is going to be very short. My bedtime
was a looong time ago.

But the last thirty minutes have been well-spent: I've redesigned an MLCAD
scene and it looks much, much better. Except for one thing.

It has a terrible reflection.

I'm supposed to be showing stone buildings, okay? Now look at this picture:

http://www.roboticsresources.com/aerandir/stone.jpg

Last I heard, unpolished stone (the brown ground does it too) doesn't reflect
like that. I'm using the LDRAW Radiosity settings, if that's what the problem
is. It only seems to appear when I have it enabled.

I've tried everything that makes sense to get it to go away; making the
actual part's color absolutely flat, turning up the DIF variable (no
effect)...the IOR is 0, FWIW. At any rate, nothing seems to be helping.

I'm going to be adding a big fog cloud right at that spot, so that particular
reflection won't be seen. However, the ground reflects the stone pretty
prominently and that will show. I need to get rid of that.

Any help anybody can furnish would be greatly appreciated. I can give you
parts of the POV file if you would like it.

Thank you for helping me out...once again...

-Mike

Your problem is that the Radiosity include uses it's own color library (unless
you'rs using Color Library option 0).  There are 2 solutions, one easy and one
tedious.

The easy solution is to use Color Library option 0.  This will have POV-Ray use
the color definitions generated by L3P.  The disadvantage to this is that the
stock L3P color look less than optimal when using radiosity.

The tedious solution is to find the color definition in "LDRAW_RAD_COLORl.inc"
(for Color Library 1) or "lugnetcolors.inc" (for Color Library 2), copy it to
the main pov file (make sure you get any of the declare valre it uses as well),
and modify it to have no reflection.

-Orion