 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 2061
Re: LEGO animation software
Newsgroups:
lugnet.animation, lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 2004 01:06:41 GMT

In lugnet.animation, Mike Thorn wrote:
Hello,

Are there any software developers out there who would be interested in
collaborating on a project with me to design, develop and produce software
for CGI LEGO animation?

I'm thinking something along the lines of an MLCad GUI, coupled with
PoV-Ray realism and radiosity. I would rather avoid text-based scene tools,
but woudl rather do more of a graphical approach.

The main roadblock to this project is that I have almost no knowledge of
application programming. I have experience with PoV-Ray, though, and am
willing to learn what I'm missing as far as that goes. In order to create a
regular piece of software, though, I need someone else.

If you're interested, drop me a line and I can outline more of my thoughts.
I'm open to anything at this point, so if anyone has ideas for some things
they might like to see I'd be interested in hearing them.

Thanks,
~Mike

Hello,

In my opinion one of the most useful feature in a lego animation software could
be "model patterns". I mean the user declares "it's a car model" then he can
order the doors to open/close, the car to run/stop and the driver to get in/out.
Of course the user still has to identify the separate components but at least he
does'nt have to specify their move, which is a tedious and repeatitive task,
considering all cars have the same basic moves.

Standard model patterns could include:
* cars
* trucks (cars with an articulation)
* minifigs (walk,run,stop,take-tool,...)
* planes
* helicopters
* boats
* space-ships
* space-walkers
* castle-drawbridges
* castle-portcullis
* castle-catapults
* castle-battering-rams

and more...

The sad news is having revolutionary ideas is actually the easy part.
The difficult part is making them live.

Any basic application usually requires so much effort that implementing
revolutionary features is out of question.

As an exemple MLCad can be considered as a basic tool from a user point of view
(not a single animation feature), yet it's a really advanced tool considering
the development effort involved.

If you want to implement such a software you may consider a step-by-step
approach:
* 1. implement a basic LDraw viewer
* 2. implement basic editing possibilities
* 3. implement basic animation possibilities
* 4. implement more adanced possibilities
* 5. improve user-friendliness

And it's already a long way before step 2.

Regards,

Damien