 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 16
Re: povray
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 00:00:17 GMT

Fredrik Glöckner <fredrik.glockner@bio.uio.no> writes:
That is an interesting idea.  But I'm a bit worried that if I put up a
few standard views, the concept of walking through the model
disappears. Of course, one can still fine tune the view, as you say.

I agree walking through or around a model is a pretty cool idea, but I
get frustrated by how slowly I walk :) I think a few set views would be
great to get an overall image of the model.  Then if I wanted to see
details or interiors, I could fine tune.

John VanZwieten also had the idea to let the user always look towards
the centre of the model, specifying only the polar coordinates (and
possibly the distance?).  This would probably make the viewing easier,
but think I would still miss the "walking through".

With polar coordinates, you might get more of a "walking around" feeling
instead of "walking through", which, IMHO, can be better, especially for
smaller constructions, like vehicles.  Walking through is great for
buildings, submarines, and giant spaceships, but even then, you might
want to see a few different views from the outside.

In a few years time, when computers get faster, we can probably
implement this idea much faster and better.  Or perhaps we want larger
image resolution by that time, so that viewing will still be slow?

I want faster *and* bigger :)  Maybe a really big cache of images will
do...
--Bram