 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 1473
Re: Weird Logo Issue at L3P Quality Level 3
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 20:22:54 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Dave Schuler wrote:

I dunno... I'm still coming to grips with the whole BFC thing, so this
subpart whatsit doesn't seem like too much extra typing!

:)

It's not much extra typing, it's just one more thing to understand, or
more guideline to follow...

That reminds
me--is BFC-compliance mandatory for new parts submissions, or is it simply a
good idea?

It's simply a good idea.

I confess that I'm a little vague on the benefit of it; does it
boost rendering speed in some viewers?

There are two primary benefit:

1. It *can* boost rendering speed, if the viewer is coded to take
advantage of it.

2. It can make it easier to convert LDraw code to other forms, and use
it with other utilities.  Every couple of months or so, someone wanders
into lugnet.cad and asks why they're having trouble doing XYZ with the
LDraw parts; it usually turns out that they expected all polygons were
well-wrapped (like: they hadn't even considered the alternative).

Even when I ran my feeble Pentium
120 (until about 2 months ago) I didn't notice much difference (since
everything took two weeks to process).  What am I missing?

Not that many parts have been BFC certified, so any speed-up is fairly
unnoticeable.

Steve