 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 1307
Re: Clipping
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Mon, 10 Jun 2002 21:10:58 GMT

"Dave Schuler" <orrex@excite.com> skrev i meddelandet
news:GxI4LG.Mq6@lugnet.com...
Could someone tell me if I understand the "clipped_by" function in POV-Ray
correctly?  As I see it, if I do something like:

sphere {<0,0,0>,2
clipped_by {box <0,0,0>,<1,1,1>}

will it only display those portions of the 2-radius sphere that fit within
the 1x1x1 box?  Or would it display the points of intersection?  How does
this differ from "bounded_by?"

'clipped_by' is almost the same as a CSG 'difference', ie. it modifies the
object, but doesn't generate surfaces on the cut part.

'bounded_by' is a hint to POVRay about complicated objects, to make
rendering faster.

Test for yourself with a new doc. in POVRay, Insert / Ready-Made Scenes /
Basic Scene, run, and remember how it looks. Now insert the line

  bounded_by {box {<0,0,0>,<1,1,1>}}

in the sphere, and You'll notice no difference.

Now change this to 'clipped_by', and You know the difference.

--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
Gallery:   http://user.tninet.se/~hbh828t/gallery/index.htm