 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 1305
Re: Clipping
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Tue, 11 Jun 2002 06:36:39 GMT

"Dave Schuler" <orrex@excite.com> writes:

Could someone tell me if I understand the "clipped_by" function in
POV-Ray correctly?  As I see it, if I do something like:

sphere {<0,0,0>,2
clipped_by {box <0,0,0>,<1,1,1>}

will it only display those portions of the 2-radius sphere that fit
within the 1x1x1 box?

It will render only those parts which are common in both shapes,
everything else is discarded.

Or would it display the points of intersection?  How does this
differ from "bounded_by?"

It is my understandment that using bounded_by preserves the surface of
the bounding object.  The simpler object is assumed to bound,
ie. cover the other object totally.

clipped_by is more like a CSG intersection.

Fredrik
--
http://folk.uio.no/fredrigl/technic/