 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 1229
Re: memory for LGEO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Thu, 28 Mar 2002 21:18:39 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Jeroen de Haan writes:
What is the minimum memory a computer needs to render a POV-file with
LGEO-parts? 128Mb? 256? more?
I know it depends on the size of the file, but is there a sort of guide for it?
I need to know for the REND101 manual.

Jeroen

There isn't one.  In practice, the more avaliabel memory that POV-Ray can
use the less time it takes for POV to render.  The speed of the CPU
*doesn't* matter as much as the memory.  I've tested POV on a dual-P3-650Mhz
(256MB RAM) machine and a) POV is not designed to handle dual-CPU PCs (one
CPU is always idle) and b) when looking at the system manger resource a HUGE
spike occurs in memory when you start a render.

So while the *best* answer is MORE MEMORY the better I think this might help.
Here are the memory requirments for each of the windows OS.  So if you have
128MB of memory on your PC and you are running nothing other than POV and
the OS.  Subtract the min. requirements by OS and you have the avaliable
memory that POV can use.

(obtained from Microsft website)
http://www.microsoft.com/catalog/navigation.asp?subid=22&nv=2

Windows 95: 8MB RAM
Windows 98 (SE): 24MB RAM
windows ME: 32MB RAM
Windows NT 4 (workstation): 32MB RAM
Windows 2000: 64MB Ram (4GB Ram is max this OS can support)
Windows XP: 128MB (64MB for bare bones operations - limited functionally)

This is NOT to say that a the OS will use all of it's 'required' memory.
IMO, it WILL USE all teh required memory and then some!

Well I hope this help.  The best recommendation IMO is get at least 512MB of
any PC system.  If you can afford it go 1GB+ of RAM.  At the rate we are
going CPUs over 1.5GHz are overkill for ANY application we may be doing
(unless you are doing animation or video editing) DOES NOT need a 1.5+ CPU.
If you are doing animation or video editing don't waste you time with a PC
go and get a MAC. =)

AHui