 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 1141
RE: YATA Selling MOC Instructions...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 20:21:38 GMT

Steve Barile writes:
Also it seems that the texture of the material (plastic
elements) has no reflective qualities. Make me want to say
that it's flat shaded, but the is a gradient on the hub caps
and fenders.

You are correct, all reflection was turned off.
I'll outline the important bits:

First, you *cannot* use LGEO parts, since they don't have the sharp
edges that the find_edges process picks up.

Second, to get an image without perspective, you can set the camera
angle (-ca in L3P) to something really small, like 1, or you need to add
the "orthographic" keyword to your camera.  This will most likely
require you to move the camera too, so that the whole picture fits.

Third, whenever I render something, I include a custom colors file that
sets all the colors to ones I like.  In the case of the beetle, I also
removed the "reflection" information from the "finish" of the colors.

Here's what my light sources looked like:

light_source {
        <0,0,-1000>
        color rgb 1
        shadowless
}

light_source {
        <1000,0,0>
        color rgb 1.25
        shadowless
}

light_source {
        <0,-1000,0>
        color rgb 1.5
        shadowless
}

There's one light along each axis, all a good distance from the model.
The shadowless keyword makes sure the light does not cast any shadows,
but also allows the light to pass through solid walls as if there was
nothing there.  Each light is white (rgb 1), multiplied by a brightness
factor.  The higher the number, the brighter the light.

Finally, the post process:

#version unofficial MegaPov 0.7;  // version number may be different

global_settings {
  post_process {
        find_edges {
          2,    //depth difference required for line
          0.35, //angle difference required for line
          0.2,  //color difference required for line
          2.0,  //line width
          1.4,  //line sharpness
          rgb 0 //color of line
        }
  }
}

Above are the settings I used.  Remember that the line width is
absolute, so the same thickness will look a lot thicker on a small
render than a big one.  This makes test renders a bit harder than usual
to accomplish.

The step number in my render was actually also done in POV using a
"text" object.  However, this requires quite a bit of rotation and
placement to get it perpendicular to the camera and in a good position.
Perhaps if I use some variables for camera placement I can use the same
information to set the placement for the number.  To get the right
number to print out, I used
"str(clock,0,0)" for the value of the text to be printed.

I hope that helps!  (Hmm, I always seem to give away my good ideas :/ )
--Bram

Bram Lambrecht
bram@cwru.edu
www.bldesign.org