 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 1138
Re: YATA Selling MOC Instructions...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 01:23:39 GMT

Hi Guys,
I have been following this thread and I am extremely interested in the VW
rendering. I'm the author of the BricWorx instructions
(www.bricworx.com/801-instructions.jpg) and would love to get this "look"
for my instruction steps. Bram, I would be grateful if you spent some more
time on the details of this rendering technique.

Bob's lighting looks like XYZ lights all at the same distance. Whereas the
VW looks like the lights in the front and the side of the car are dimmer or
further away then the top. Or is it that the car isn't orthogonal to the 3
axis's? This can be clearly seen at the end of the front bumper on the
drivers side (US).

Also it seems that the texture of the material (plastic elements) has no
reflective qualities. Make me want to say that it's flat shaded, but the is
a gradient on the hub caps and fenders.

As for the lines I need to down load mega POV and try find_edges option. I
read this section and notice there are 6 params, how did you set these up?
SteveB
In lugnet.cad.ray, Bob Hayes writes:
In lugnet.market.theory, Bram Lambrecht writes:
In lugnet.market.theory, Bob Hayes writes:

Would you be will to share the how that image was produced.  I have tried
MEGAPov and the find_edges post_process, but I have never gotten results
like that.  I looks good.

I used the orthographic keyword in the camera to eliminate perspective.  I then
placed three shadowless lights along the x, y, and z axes.  The edges were done
with MegaPOV's find_edges...perhaps this will help:
http://melnorme.dhs.org/megadocs/(long file, be prepared to wait while it loads)
--Bram

Bram,

Thank you.  The shadowless light helped as did as did a tip I found in an
old message about rendering at a fairly large size and reducing the image
later.  Take a look at:

Bob