 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 1081
Re: From Screen to Paper Printing (PPI/DPI Question)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish, lugnet.general, lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2001 20:27:43 GMT

In lugnet.publish, George Haberberger writes:
I did a search on lpi vs dpi, and the following link is pretty good,
http://graphicdesign.about.com/library/weekly/aa070998.htm

That was a good link.  I have never understood these issues before now, and
I may still be confused slightly.

From that article I gather that no printer (professional printing device)
cares about anything above 200 LPI.  The article further claims that one
would generally want to print from an image 2 times the desired LPI.  Given
that, my 600 PPI image is heavy by 200 PPI -- but 400 PPI would be just
right.  My goal is simply to produce an image that can be used by anyone to
make whatever they want with it with a maximum possibility of 200 LPI for an
8" x 8" -- which should cover all needs and then some.  Do I have this right?

I guess the question I have now is what the best method of delivery for the
image is -- that is, what file format is best? I was messing with a PDF
print to file method, but it always looked very crappy no matter how I
changed the settings.  I have always previously understood that a .tiff file
was otherwise preferred, but the last time I asserted that here there was a
lot of discussion about it that I ultimately stopped following closely.  I
could post the PSD file somewhere, but it presumes the ability to deal with
a photoshop file AND I am not sure I want people messing with my layers or
typography.  What's the best file format for my purposes?

-- Hop-Frog